Sunday 10 January 2010

Bisibelebath

Another famous dish from Bangalore....Oh I love this and Bangalore. Actually I love Bangalore more...the things associated with it comes later. I like my old Bangalore and all the Beautiful things...Namma Bengaluru....I actually I dont like the new name...Ok..Ok...let me stop the bragging and get to the dish. This dish is a meal in a dish. It has the lentils, Rice, vegetables etc...See I told you all the good things packed in one bowl.


Ingredients:
  • Cooked Toor Dhal(Lentils) - 1 Cup
  • Cooked Rice - 1 Cup
  • Boiled Peanuts - 1/2 cup
  • Onions - 1 Medium Sized (Sliced)
  • Carrot - 1 Diced
  • Beans - 6 Diced
  • Capsicum - 1 Diced (red, green or yellow)
  • Chopped Tomatoes in a Can - 3/4 cup
  • Canned Garden Peas - 1/2 Cup
  • Bisibele Bath Powder - 3 Heaped Spoons
  • Salt to Taste
  • Oil - 1/2 Cup

For Garnish:

Ghee (Clarified Butter), Curry Leaves and Cashewnuts.

Now, I use canned vegetables with a reason, in the winter especially, since I feel the tomatoes that we get in here during Winter is not organically grown. I mean I read it somewhere that it is almost impossible to grow vegetables or Fruits in the winter and how does the stores stock Tomatoes, oranges etc all round the year. So these vegetables in the Cans may be grown in the right season and canned for later use. I specifically choose the sun grown stuff.

Method:

There are different methods to make this, but guess this is the easiest way when you have all the stuff cooked and boiled. All that is pending is assembling them is this beautiful dish.
Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan or a sauce pan drop in the sliced onions and Saute till translucent, then drop in all the vegetables and tomates, Saute for 2-3 mins on medium heat. Then pour in some water and let the vegetables cook. Once they are almost cooked put in the salt and Bisibelebath powder (My mom makes this for me all the time, but I will post the recipe for this once I can get hold of a Coffee Grinder so that I can make it myself, but not sure if I can match my mom's standards). And let is blend in and cook for another 2-3 mins, now mix the Cooked dhal and rice. Add water to adjust the consistency, now heat Ghee a small Kadai and put in the curry leaves and cashewnut and Garnish over the Bisibelebath and mix it well so that the ghee is all over. Dont be stingy about the ghee for it adds to the taste of the dish.

I prefer chopping the vegetables to small bits since bigger sized ones calls for picking and not eating.

Dont worry about the calories and enjoy the dish with some Potato wafers(chips).









No comments:

Post a Comment